Sunday, July 19, 2009

jj?



So, you're all already aware that I'm a big Air France fan. When their No Way Down EP dropped last summer, their shimmering, Baleric-tinged songs were billed as the humid summertime answer to their Sincerely Yours labelmates, The Tough Alliance.

And this summer, here comes jj, whose new EP, jj n° 2, is billed as the humid summertime answer to their Sincerely Yours labelmates, Air France. Hm. I didn't know Air France became an electroclash act in the past year. In my humble opinion, The Tough Alliance is already pretty clearly dance-lite, and being two generations lite-er than that is going to have you walking a pretty fine line.

All this is to say: I really want to like jj, if only because of their association to Air France and Sincerely Yours. But I don't know if my stomach is tough enough to handle something that sounds this much like Enya. Other things that I'm torn about regarding this record include the lead single "Ecstacy" that samples Lil Wayne's "Lollipop," and that cover art up there (cool concept, but anything with a pot leaf on it loses major cred points, cause that's lame). I'll keep you updated and let you know if this is a turning point in my life, in which Sleepy Hollow becomes my favorite radio program.

Decide for yourself:
jj - Ecstacy
jj - From Africa to Málaga

Now listening to: jj - jj n° 2 (2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment