Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dodos - Time to Die and "Fables"

Sorry - I've been doing a lot of things this summer, but posting here hasn't really been one of them. There's been a ton of sweet stuff that's come out in the past few weeks, so I'm going to do my best to catch up on all of that. Hopefully I can keep up with catching up.



I know the term "freak folk" is overused, but I think if there were an appropriate time to use it, it would be when talking about The Dodos. These San Fransisco weirdos play acoustic guitars and drums with a big emphasis on rhythm - probably because their guitar player studied West African Ewe drumming and their drummer proper used to be in a prog-metal band. Their second album, Visiter (2008) was one of my favorites of last year. And now, little over a year later, they're back with Time to Die. The band has made the entire thing available for stream here and is definitely worth a listen.

"Fables,"the first official single from the record actually tones down the weird a bit, but boosts the melody and overall catchiness, finding itself somewhere in the realm of The Shins. I dare you not to sing along with the chorus the second time it comes around. Another plus - the album cover looks like terazzo, and I love that stuff.

The Dodos - "Fables"

Now listening to: Cass McCombs - Catacombs (2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment